Thursday, November 2, 2017

Literature of Comics: Day 9

          I love the film Triplets of Belleville, the style and caricatures are so interesting. It is not really like any american animation, I would compare it to maybe Aristocats only in it keeping the sketchiness around the lines, not cleaning yup the cells. A lot of the back grounds look as it they are ink and water color. The beginning is very interesting, using old animation styles, black and white tube arm animation, to convey an older time. It reminds me a lot of a Miyazaki film, having a lot of life experiences and long scenes showing life. Also by not having a lot of dialogue, it allows anyone of any culture to understand what is happening. This makes it easy to translate and circulate widely.
          I had read Persepolis, and though I found the art to be very graphic and interesting, the story did not speak to me. I feel for the girl, but I am not a huge fan of these kind of stories. I found her choices throughout the novel interesting, that she cared about freedom, doing what she wanted to do, more that her welfare and her family. I appreciated that her family truly cared about her and changed for her, from sending her to live with the nuns for her safety to treating her as an equal when she came back. Uncle Anoosh, I feel, was the catalyst that send her down the path of social activism. He taught her about the world and they become very close, thus making his execution all the more painful for her. I understand her choices and feel that she truly made a difference in the world, but I am not a big fan of social or political stories. I really enjoyed the over all style of art that the novel was drawn in, reminded me of political revolutionary posters.The naivety of the artwork is also reminiscent of a child, who is the voice of the story.
          I had also looked at Valerian. I had seen the film over the summer, and though not a huge fan of the overall story, the world building and characters were beautiful. I was interested in seeing what the comic looked like for I had not known the film was an adaption. I actually found the film to be more compelling in character design and color, not that the comics were not compelling. I got the feeling of the 60s to early 70s style from Valerian, and I loved that the film clearly took exact panels from the comic and used it in the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Literature of Comics: Day 13

          Scott Pilgrim vs the World  is one of my favorite films due to the graphic nature of the film. I did not know when I saw it in the...