Thursday, November 30, 2017

In Class Assessment: Pretty Deadly

1) What is your reaction to the text you just read:
          Overall I found it quite intriguing, but hard to follow. When I read through it, I really had no idea what was going on or whose story I was reading. I got that the rabbit was narrating and that the butterfly was listening, but difficult to tell the motives of the main characters of the story. This may be because I have only read the first volume and half of the second, but what I got was that death had a daughter with a human. This daughter wears a vulture costume and travels with 'the fox' and they hunt down men who have wronged women. I may be wrong in this, but I feel that this is a comic that I would need to read through a few times in order to completely understand the story. I found the artwork to be dynamic and beautiful, and could see the appeal in the over all comic from that. I just finished reading the 2 volume and have discovered that the little girl is not deaths daughter like I originally thought.


2) What connections did you make with the story? Discuss elements of the work with which you were able to connect:
          I did not connect the story to any of my personal experiences, but I did connect it so some genres. I saw a lot of western influence, the riding on horses and living in small towns reminded me a lot of an old western movie. Yet I also noticed a lot of action and sword fighting, which reminded me of more eastern movies or Japanese movies. Plus the fantasy of death's daughter and the talking animals mixes in another genre. Yet, I found them all to be well balanced, none over powering the other. I can tell this was set long ago, but it does not feel exactly like earth or our time line, but another world similar to ours. The artwork seemed to be inspired by western comics and manga. I could connect the different themes and mashing of genres and styles, but the overall story that is being told is still confusing to me.


3) What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make:
         I this this could adapt well into a live action movie or an anime styled movie. Im sure if I read all of it it would make more sense, but with the visuals in a movie along with the dialogue I'm sure it would be clear and fun to watch. I would not change the color scheme or setting, I think they play an important part in the graphic novel. I feel that this could be converted to a novel as well, spending a lot of time really describing the imagery that is shown in the graphic novel. Kind of like the Harry Potter series, which is very good at describing everything going on around them. Whether it be adapted to a movie or novel, I would not change the story, setting, or colors, but I would try to make it a bit more clear on what was going on either through acting/movement or through description.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Literature of Comics: Day 13

          Scott Pilgrim vs the World  is one of my favorite films due to the graphic nature of the film. I did not know when I saw it in the...