Thursday, November 30, 2017

Literature of Comics: Day 12

          Cockaboody and the other animations you showed at the beginning of class were very interesting. They reminded me of the Yellow Submarine, very surreal. I loved the first one with the play because they would switch from 'real life' to imaginary world. I could tell that they just recorded their kids interacting for the dialogue did not feel scripted at all, very organic. Overall the animations were very cute and felt relatable.
          The work I looked at before class was "This One Summer", and thought I have not finished it, I have really enjoyed what I have read so far. The art style is appealing and shows the emotion of the characters. I can relate to a lot of the characters and what they are going through, the mom especially. Not in the way of losing a child, but I deal with severe anxiety and can understand how it feels to have to "put on a face" for others. The scene that really stood out to me was when everyone was at the beach and they kept trying to get the mom to go in the water. She tried to be nice about it, but they kept pushing her into doing something she did not want to do. I do not like being pressured into doing things that I do not want to do, especially if I already have a bad experience associated with what ever it is. The mom is also trying her best to keep it to herself and away from her daughter. I see both sides of the coin on this, the mom does not want her daughter to have to deal with it, yet the daughter is mad that she is being excluded and treated as a child.
          I had never heard of Judy, but I loved her spoon illustrations. She had a very distinct style I had not seen before. Fanny's work looked familiar. I really liked the style, finding it very pretty and baby doll like. Kate Carew's work was very different from the previous. It reminded me of modern cartoonists, and its cool that she would get to hang out with some famous people of the time. Rose's art was very colorful and reminded me of early Disney comics. The Kewpie doll was a bit creepy, but I can see why people thought he was cute. I love that many of these women were politically active in trying to get the vote for women. They saw the power in their work. I had played with paper dolls before, from magazines when I was little, but I did not know that they dated back to the 1800s. I never knew how much illustrations influenced people as much as it did, especially with the overall political stand of women and the ideal look of women. Nell Brinkley's illustration of the girl trying to fit into her tight dress id something I did not know anyone illustrated until recently. That is such a relatable thing, even now with dresses and skinny pants. Neysa McMein's work was beautiful, my favorite thus far, especially her use of color. I loved Edwina's dog comics. I can relate for I love cats and draw cats all the time. I was amazed at how well many women were able to make their mark on comic history, especially for their time. Many of the names you showed us I had never heard of, and a lot of their works I really liked and plan to look more into their works. I had no idea that Fun Home was a comic before becoming a musical.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Literature of Comics: Day 13

          Scott Pilgrim vs the World  is one of my favorite films due to the graphic nature of the film. I did not know when I saw it in the...