Thursday, November 16, 2017

Literature of Comics: Day 11

          Anomalisa is such an interesting film. I remember you showing this film in the literature class I was in with you last year, and I am so glad you showed it. I have watched it a few times and I truly appreciate the uniqueness of this film. I am actually very interested in the art of stop motion film making, and I had heard of this film, but never really got around to watching it until you showed it in class. I love it when films do something out of the ordinary with films, like Wes Anderson's flat style of filming or like the short Paper man that was all black and white except for her lip stick.
          With the Acme comic, its was interesting, but not a huge fan. When I first opened it, I thought the character in it was like Stewie from Family Guy, but when you said in class that it was like the Peanuts, I saw what you meant. Overall the comic was a downer, and gave a very industrial feel due to the very geometric comic panels. I found his use of color to be the most interesting part of the comic, I love when color means something and each panel uses color to convey a message.
          I really did not like Eightball. I appreciate the work behind it and can understand why people like this kind of work, but I just don't find any joy in reading it. The visuals and overall appeal of the drawings are not there for me. A lot of times when reading it, I would scrunch up my face in disgusts from the visuals and subject matter. Overall this is just depressing and gross.
          The third comic, Ice Haven, reminded me of 80's comics in terms of style and color. Again very depressing work, but of the comics we have looked at today, this is the most appealing visually, but still not a huge fan. I am glad you show us this work, for I would never have seen any of it on my own.
          Arsene Schrauwen has a puck/cyber punk visual style which reminded me of the 80s. This artist seems to have no technique, but I can see the argument that this makes it more interesting/spontaneous. The story is overall about media, so he took that idea and organized it in an interesting way.
          You also showed Chico and Rita in the literature class last year, and I also enjoyed this film. The style is very different from american animated films, and I love the music. The music gives the entire movie a rhythm, each song sets a tone and the style of animation does not take away form this.
          I also remember reading Asterios Polyp last year too. All of the different art styles merging into one comic, and the overall symbolism of the work with colors and style is quite beautiful. I know how hard it is to pull off such a feet and this makes the novel all the better. I agree that this would not translate wall into any other media, which shows how great it is as it is. I truely would love to see an animated film that merged different styles though, kind of like the short "Get a Horse" - 3D and 2D or "Nightmare before Christmas" - 2D and Stop Motion.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Literature of Comics: Day 13

          Scott Pilgrim vs the World  is one of my favorite films due to the graphic nature of the film. I did not know when I saw it in the...